This painting is a small, quick one that I made to experiment with coloured light sources. It's messy, but I'm pleased with how that stark red came out. Follow the step by step below to see how I did it! I listed the pigment numbers on all of the paints I used to help you find the closest match in your own brand.
Once the base sketch was finished, I blocked in the background and any other dark sections with waterproof black ink, first. I then painted the areas of the costume with a light brown undercoat (Burnt Sienna PR101.) This adds a warmer tone to the light and shadows I layered on top of it. After this I used crimson (Alizarin Crimson PR206) to mark the raised areas where the light touches. It looks a bit strange at this stage, but since watercolours are transparent I need to work backwards from light to dark.
With the main lighting areas established, I painted in the first layer of shadows in turquoise (Turquoise PB15+PG7,) followed by a second layer in a brown/turquoise mix (Burnt Umber PBr7+PY42 and Turquoise PB15+PG7.) Now it's starting to look a bit more like a finished painting! Some touch ups and the teeth were done in a Burnt Sienna/Alizarin Crimson mix.
The rest of the painting was continuous layered washes of Alizarin Crimson/Burnt Sienna for shadows in the lit areas, and Turquoise/Burnt Umber for dark areas. I then finished it with red ink to pick out wires and edges, and white ink for the pupils.
Canson comic board
Mechanical pencil, 0.5mm HB lead
Winsor and Newton Cotman watercolours
Five Star India ink, black, red, white